Our wood is the original Hutchcomb's Copse, shown on maps from 1600 onwards surrounded by the Hutchcomb's Farm lands. Housing development started after the war. By the 1960's the area was becoming more urban. Today, Hutchcomb's Copse - the original, ancient wood - is part of larger, ecologically important green space network on the City's outkirts.
We lucky that these open spaces have survived thanks to the forsight and generousity of the landowners who protected them from development.